Thursday, November 28, 2013

REVIEW: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2)  by Veronica Rossi
Publication Date: January 8, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Book Purchased by Reviewer
Buy it at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s been months since Aria learned of her mother’s death.

Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.

Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It’s a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it’s a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first.

Then it slips away. The Tides don’t take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry’s control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?



Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, can their love survive through the ever night?

Well I have to admit that this book was sooooooooooooo much better than its predecessor, Under the Never Sky. It took me a while to actually get into the first one, while this book just flowed so much better and had me hooked the entire time. Not a dull moment was had!

I think the author did a great job with the characters growth as well. It was such a great feeling to see Aria go from a weak, scared Dweller to a strong, fearless Aud. I think that even though she resisted the outside world in the beginning, she fully embraced it when she learned the truth about what she was.

I think Rossi's best character development was with Perry, though. Seeing his journey to becoming Blood Lord of the Tides was so great to read. It's amazing how his compassion and determination were seen as childish and weak in the beginning, but one incident earns him the respect and trust of the tribe. Meanwhile, he was doing what he had always tried his best to do, which was protect the Tribe. Proving his journey to be genuine and realistically showing that loyalty and trust are earned!

Now Sable, on the other hand, is a total dog! He is just as horrible as I imagined him to be! He seems "not-to-bad" at first. He treats Liv well and seems like he cares about her, but that's all a rouse! He has nothing but malicious intent and we later learn when certain situations involving Liv (and Cinder!) arise.

One issue I had with this book, which I also had with Under the Never Sky, is the lack of world-building. We still have no idea how the world ended up the way that is was, filled with Aether storms and people separated into different status groups (ie: Dwellers and Outsiders)

Another issue I had, which isn't a huge deal, is the cover of this book. I don't normally comment on covers, but this one really bothers me. I know that the guy on the cover is supposed to be Perry, but that's not how I pictured Perry at all! He's way to boyish and clean-cut on the cover...shouldn't he be more rugged and savage looking? Maybe it's just my opinion, but yea...that's not my Perry!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I think Veronica Rossi did a great job with this story!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p