Friday, August 30, 2013

REVIEW: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi


Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)  by Tahereh Mafi
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Book Purchased by Reviewer
Buy it at: AmazonBarnes and NobleIndieBound

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

Tick
Tick
Tick
Tick
Tick
It’s almost over
Time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her- people with gifts- and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She’s finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. decisions that might involve choosing between her heart- and Adam’s life. 

Soooooo....OMG! OMG! OMG!!! This book..THIS BOOK!!!!!! I mean there really aren't any words to describe how I feel about this book. To say it left me hanging is an understatement...it left me dead. Dead on the floor. Maybe i'm still breathing, maybe i'm not...I can't even tell right now. Like Juliette, I constantly had to remind myself to just breathe.

Unravel Me picks up where Shatter Me left off, with Juliette and Adam as the new-comers to Omega Point. Omega Point being the "safe haven" for special people like Juliette, people with powers. There are some great strides made with our main characters in this book and there are some not so great strides made. Lets get started!

Juliette: I totally loved that she regressed back to her claustrophobic, paranoid, and self-conscience ways in the beginning (and middle) of this book...ok not the nicest thing to say, but it's for good reason. I would've highly doubted that she could miraculously become a super hero over night. This poor girl has been emotionally abused her whole life! She was locked away and left alone for the world to forget about her. I would be more surprised if she didn't have a meltdown at Omega Point. When we last left off in Shatter Me, Juliette seemed powerful, strong, even understanding and full of confidence about her powers and new life when she arrived at Omega Point, but it seems completely natural for her to lose all of that when she finally settles down and realizes that Omega Point is just a cell. It's underground, full of rules and restrictions. Just like at the asylum. Plus she isn't used to getting so much attention [read: Castle can be a little overbearing at times lol] I did not, however, approve of the fact that she was constantly whining about something. She seemed so completely immature and i'm sure she was just as immature in Shatter Me, but it didn't bother me then...it bothers me now. Maybe that's because I expected her to grow up a little bit and mature somewhat but............I guess I was wrong. Stop whining Juliette and get your $h!t together, girlfriend! We're at War!!!

Kenji: I absolutely LOVED Kenji in this book. In Shatter Me, he was such an insensitive jerk, but he totally transformed in Unravel Me. Getting to know the real Kenji was so awesome. It’s like he went from being a forgettable character in Shatter Me to being a beloved childhood friend.Turns out he's strong, brave, smart, and everything else in between. Which naturally that also makes him super schmexy too!!! (hehe)

Adaaaaaam! I know, I know, I'm biased, but I swear I love my guy!!!! It breaks my heart that him and Juliette are having the “issues” they are having. It’s like, after everything they have been through, they deserve at least a sliver of a happy ending and it just never comes for them…it’s always one thing after the other. He’s such a kind, sensitive, and protective hunk of perfection, that it breaks my heart to see him so sad and beaten down about the situation. Ms. Mafi, you're killing me with this!! I can’t take the emotional distress of it all. Please, please, PLEASE help a sister out and give me the ending I want!!

Warner: OH.MY.GAW. I mean seriously Warner, why did you have to become so darn irresistible?!? I get that you’re all in love with Juliette, but becoming this sweet, charismatic, charming and honest guy is not what I was prepared for. Not that I could EVER take my heart back from Adam (because Adam literally stole my heart <3) but I have to admit that there were a few moments that I may have swayed just a tad and was just as smitten with Warner as Juliette was. Come on, talk about transformations?!?! Plus, HE HAS DIMPLES! So yea, total swoon factor going on Warner!


So here are my emotions, use what little life is left in them and be prepared to hyperventilate at least once while reading this book!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p