Friday, December 27, 2013

REVIEW: Where She Went (If I Stay #2) by Gayle Forman

Where She Went (If I Stay #2)  by Gayle Forman
Publication Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile 
Source: Book Purchased by Reviewer
Buy it at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s been three years since the devastating accident…three years since Mia walked out of Adam’s life forever.



Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard’s rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia’s home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future- and each other.

There were so many things that I liked about this book...but also a few that I disliked. Lets start with the likes...

I have to admit that I had really high hopes for this book. So naturally I feel a little let down by it. I mean, after If I Stay was such a beautifully heartbreaking story within the first chapter. I kind of expected this one to be just as emotional and beautiful. That's where the let down is for me.

My biggest thing is that Adam turned into such a douche! Actually a selfish and kind of heartless douche! I mean I get that he was broken hearted by what Mia did and by the whole situation but I really feel like his character should've handled it a lot better. I mean even when he finally sees Mia again and spends all that time with her that night it just all seems so forced and fake and that's because it's just not him. That's not who he is. Now don't get me wrong. I get WHY he would turn into the person he did but I just don't get how he could turn that way. That's not the Adam we knew from If I Stay. That's not the Adam we saw fight to see Mia in the hospital. Not the Adam we saw beg her stay in the first place. It's just not OUR Adam. But I guess you can never know how certain situations can change people and maybe this has always been the route Adam would take. I just thought he was stronger than all of that. Really, I think I'm just kind of fed up with all of my favorite characters changing their whole personality so suddenly. It just doesn't seem right to me and that seems to be a recurring theme lately that doesn't sit well with me. But im rambling...lets move on.

On a bright note, I am happy at the outcome of the relationship. Though not so happy on the road that took them there, it's still what I had hopes for the entire time and the author just wouldn't have done the book or the characters justice if she had chosen any other outcome. The ending was a little disappointing because it's just not what I saw happening in my head.

Overall, it was still a great book and I highly recommend reading this story!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p