Tuesday, October 21, 2014

REVIEW: Blackbird (Blackbird #1) by Anna Carey~ BEA 2014

Blackbird (Blackbird #1) by Anna Carey
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: ARC received from Publisher at Book Expo America 2014
Buy it at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

*This book was received from the publisher, but it did not influence this review in any way *

My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. she has a tattoo on the inside of her wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her.


On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.

First off, I did not like the second person POV. I didn't. I. Just. Didn't. It was just so hard to get into reading. My thought is that the author wanted to give the reader the feeling of actually being in the story, but that is definitely not the feeling I got while reading. Frustration. Frustration is the feeling that I got while reading this book. And yea, at some point I got over it and was able to really enjoy the story, but that annoyed feeling kept creeping up on me,

Second, I was very disappointed with the ending of the book. I had to remind myself that this series is a duology and not a stand alone. There were a few minutes of tantruming at the slight cliff hanger and then just pure hatred at the shocking plot twist that left me feeling completely unsatisfied. Of course, after the initial shock of everything, and much time spent mulling over it, I realized that I actually enjoyed the book way more than I thought I would. I also realized that the sequel is probably going to piss me off...and I just may love it! Hey what can I say, i'm an optimist!

But all sass aside, I really enjoyed the premise of the story. Going through this journey with Sunny (MC) was really interesting. I mean, can you imagine what it must feel like to wake up in the middle of a train track with an oncoming train and only seconds to react. Then, on top of that, you have NO IDEA who you are and you spend all this time trying to simultaneously stay alive while piecing the puzzle back together! Ummm, yea that just doesn't work for me! And as time goes by memories and realizations start to sink in and it's just completely crazy! So i'm happy that Sunny's (not her real name, she doesn't know who she is remember!?) story isn't over just yet. I feel like there's so much more that we need to figure out....and I feel like we need to do it together! So yea, even though it took a bit to get into, it still hooked me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p