Tuesday, February 9, 2016

REVIEW: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Source: Book Gifted to Lexi Swoons 
Buy it at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.


Let me start by saying that this is not my favorite Rainbow Rowell book that i've read so far. I think Rainbow is an amazing author, but this book didn't quite give me the feels I was looking for while reading.

Eleanor is a great character. She has been through so much in her life for such a young girl but I think she is so strong and brave. She has flaws just like everyone else, and there were things that I wish I could change in her personality. But, like life, you can't change things you don't like about people. I think that the particular flaws I find in her personality were actually very annoying, which is what made me slightly annoyed with her pretty much every time she spoke.

Park is also a great character. I loved that he was so in love with Eleanor and so concerned with everything that she encountered. In a way, I think he was a bit naive when it came to Eleanor and life in general. But he didn't have the same upbringing and struggles that Eleanor had so I can understand why he had the luxury of being so young and naive.

In a way I kind of loved the innocence of Park and I loved the toughness of Eleanor. I always like to see characters that have had hard times because it seems more realistic to me. I think I just didn't care to see these two characters together. I feel like they were so different and the connection wasn't quite right. I loved the environment and the story building for this book too. I just feel like it could have been perfect without the awkwardness of the two MC's. Overall, it was a quick read and I still (and will always) love Rainbow for her creativity and great writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p