Wednesday, September 10, 2014

FEATURE: Waiting on Wednesday~ Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley (#41)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Morning Swooners :-)

This week my "can't-wait-to-read" pre-publication selections are:

Expected release date: September 30, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble




Summary from Goodreads:

In 1959 Virginia, the lives of two girls on opposite sides of the battle for civil rights will be changed forever.

Sarah Dunbar is one of the first black students to attend the previously all-white Jefferson High School. An honors student at her old school, she is put into the remedial classes, spit on and tormented daily.

Linda Hairston is the daughter of one of the town’s most vocal opponents of school integration. She has been taught all her life that the races should be kept “separate but equal.”
Forced to work together on a school project, Sarah and Linda must confront harsh truths about race, power, and how they really feel about one another.


Boldly realistic and emotionally compelling, Lies We Tell Ourselves is a brave and stunning novel about finding truth amid lies, and finding your voice even when others are determined to silence it. 

Why I'm waiting:

This book really appeals to me because it just breaks my heart that our society (then and now) still has trouble allowing people to just be who they are. There shouldn't be conditions on happiness! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the story behind the cover. But I'm still on the fence about this. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if my other comment posted or not-- but, I said that this book sounds so intriguing and different! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this sounds great! Definitely adding to my TBR!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow, this one sounds like it could be really amazing. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it before now. Thanks for sharing!
    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments so thank you for sharing the love :p